Attention: No Classes Today

History

Hamlin Robinson School has been at the forefront of serving students with dyslexia and other language-based learning differences for over 30 years.

Hamlin Robinson School is the only non-profit school in Washington, and one of the few in the United States, dedicated to this learning community. HRS was founded in 1983 by the Slingerland® Institute and the Robinson family. HRS has operated independently since the fall of 1986.

HRS has grown from its first class of eleven children to a student body of over 240 in first through eighth grade. Over 1,000 students have attended HRS since its doors opened. After occupying four different locations, HRS built and moved into its permanent home in June 2015.

The HRS Learning Center was launched in 2012 to extend our reach further into the community. In its first year of operation, the Learning Center received the "Best of Washington Innovative Program Award" from the Washington Federation of Independent Schools.


The Story of Mary Helen Robinson

Many people ask about the origins of the name “Hamlin Robinson School.” This name carries a rich history, with links to the premiere researchers and developers of both individually-focused and classroom-based multi-sensory instruction.

The story begins, however, with its most pivotal figure – Mary Helen Robinson.

Mary Helen was a native of Yakima, WA, and attended the University of Washington in the 1930s, where she developed a life-long passion of helping others learn to read.

After moving to New York with her husband Hamlin in 1939, she literally knocked on the door of Dr. Samuel Orton– a pioneer in the study of learning disabilities to make his acquaintance. This meeting led to a job and the opportunity to learn the Orton method of teaching from its creator. Dr. Orton later teamed with Anna Gillingham to create the Orton-Gillingham method of multi-sensory learning instruction. This method is still widely used for individual instruction.

In 1949, she helped found The Orton Society, now known as the International Dyslexia Association.

Both Mary Helen and Hamlin became friends with Beth Slingerland and involved with the Slingerland Institute®, where Hamlin served on the Board and Mary Helen continued her work with dyslexic students. The Slingerland Institute® took the individual focus of Orton-Gillingham into a classroom approach for multi-sensory learning.

After Hamlin’s death in 1982, the Robinson family received enough donations to spur Mary Helen, along with Beth Slingerland and others, to open a school dedicated to serving children with language learning challenges.

While Hamlin Robinson School bears the name of her strongly supportive husband, its founding is Mary Helen’s legacy.

Powered by Finalsite