Hamlin Robinson School, located in the North Beacon Hill neighborhood of Seattle, Washington, is an independent, non-profit, accredited, state-approved, elementary and middle day school offering a comprehensive educational program to serve students with dyslexia and other language related difficulties. The Hamlin Robinson School core philosophy is that all children can reach their full potential given appropriate teaching methods and atmosphere.
Position: Resident Teacher
Department: Teaching Faculty
Reports to: Head of School and Assistant Head of School
Job Classification: 10 month- exempt position
The Resident Teacher is a beginning educator who is dedicated to the mission of the school in meeting the needs of students with dyslexia and other related language challenges. The Resident Teacher will have a year-long mentored teaching experience.Through a progression of duties and responsibilities, the Resident Teacher will provide overall instructional programs, guidance, and support to ensure each student’s academic success and to help meet the student’s social and emotional needs.A component of the program includes Level 1 training in the Slingerland® Multisensory Approach to instruction.Resident Teachers maintain a professional demeanor in all actions and communication with colleagues, parents, and students.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative and team environment
- Dedication to professional development workshops and classes
- Plan, deliver, and amend as necessary the instructional programs and learning activities to ensure student success
- Participate fully in the life of the school by supporting school events, development efforts, and school programs.
- Maintain a classroom and workspace that is orderly, consistent, organized, and equipped to meet the needs of the program and students
- Participate in the completion of student progress reports and support the organization, scheduling and participating in parent-teacher-student conferences three times annually
- Communicate, in collaboration with the mentor teacher, with parents/guardians via conferences, phone conversations, and emails with regards to student progress, school activities, etc.
- Provide supervision during lunch and/or recess periods
- Substitute in classes when teachers are absent or unavailable
- Administer standardized testing (Fall and Spring)
- Attend weekly Resident Teachers meetings and other faculty, team or committee meetings as needed
- On the path to becoming a Certified Teacher
- Commitment to Mission and Philosophy of Hamlin Robinson School
- Sensitivity to intellectual, physical, and emotional needs of students
- Willingness to participate in Slingerland® Teacher Training
- Maintains current knowledge of techniques and best practices in education and take advantage of other professional development opportunities
- Provides the unique support, attitude, and environment necessary for student success
- Enjoy professional collaboration
- Maintains a positive attitude and connects well with students and families in the midst of challenges and learning obstacles
- Commits to innovation, excellence, and dedication in implementing instructional programs and learning activities unique to each student
- Commits to team building and consensus building with administrators and school board in sharing ideas, making decisions, and sustaining the school’s mission and vision
- Believes in each student’s ability and potential to learn and succeed
This description is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities to meet the ongoing needs of the school.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Joan Beauregard, Head of School
Hamlin Robinson School
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Resident Teacher” in the subject line.
Hamlin Robinson School is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Hamlin Robinson School ignites the academic and creative potential of students with dyslexia and other language-based learning differences.
The world class educational program at Hamlin Robinson School is a catalyst for students to discover the joy of learning within a rich, comprehensive school experience.
Respect: We show appreciation and acceptance for ourselves, our community, and our learning.
Responsibility: We show integrity and accountability for our choices.
Purpose: We show dedication and resolve through our actions.
Perseverance: We show commitment and resilience in all our endeavors.