The term “screening” includes a broad array of tests that provide a snapshot of overall development. Among its uses, a screening can help determine if a student is on track or if a specialist should take a closer look with a formal evaluation. Screening procedures can be useful for students as young as kindergarten and continuing through adulthood.
The HRS Learning Center utilizes the Slingerland® Screening Procedures, developed by the Slingerland® Literacy Institute, to help identify a student’s language-based learning strengths and weaknesses as an indicator of instructional needs. While the Slingerland® Screening is not a nationally normed device and does not provide a diagnosis of a specific learning disability, it is used throughout the U.S. to gain insight about student strengths and weakness in the auditory, visual, and kinesthetic cognitive processing areas, as well as the degree to which working memory may contribute to a student’s challenges in each of these areas.
The HRS Learning Center’s Certified Slingerland® Screeners have been specifically trained in the administration, evaluation, and analysis of Slingerland® Screening results, which can help to identify visual, auditory, or kinesthetic modality weaknesses, or weaknesses with integration between these modalities, which, in turn, may be an underlying cause of a student’s challenges in acquiring language skills related to reading, spelling, handwriting and written expression.
- Administration of screening takes between 90-150 minutes. Two appointments may be needed for optimal results.
- Prior to screening, parents/guardians will be asked to complete a questionnaire and provide relevant educational or evaluative documentation.
- Written reports and reviews with the screening administrator are generally available 7-10 working days from the completion of screening.
- The cost of the Slingerland® Screening is $525.00 (Due prior to screening. No refunds once screening begins).
- The amount of $200.00 will be assessed for a missed screening appointment with less than 24 hours’ notice.
- Questions and requests for screening appointments can be addressed to the Learning Center Director: Edward Alvarran
For more information about Slingerland® Screening, click here.