Slingerland Teacher Training
Summer Session: June 27-28 & July 1-26, 2019
Slingerland® Summer Courses are full-day, 4-week, training sessions which include a hands-on teaching practicum. This course will help you be more effective in teaching:
|- Reading fluency||- Decoding|
|- Reading comprehension||- Basic writing skills|
|- Phonemic awareness||- Handwriting|
|- Phonics and word recognition||- Oral language skills|
In this summer course, participants will learn how to present information so the visual, auditory and kinesthetic-tactile pathways are used simultaneously to enhance student academic performance. The Slingerland® Approach is an effective way to make the core curriculum accessible to all students.
- Introduction in steps of handwriting, written language, decoding and reading comprehension.
- Understanding the etiology of dyslexia.
- Introduction of phonics rules and their application in encoding and decoding.
- Introduction to the neurology of language.
- Understanding of the development of oral language skills.
- Study of the history, philosophy and current research about dyslexia.
- Lesson plan preparation using current curriculum in the Slingerland approach.
Level 2 begins with a brief overview and focuses on more advanced techniques in the language arts continuum. The use of dictation paragraph and the screening procedures for identifying students will also be presented.
- Guided observation of the diagnostic and prescriptive elements within the daily format.
- Practice in diagnosing and prescribing for more than one child.
- Relating oral language skills to reading and writing.
- Understanding the vertical and horizontal use of the format for daily instruction.
- Integration of new learning throughout the format.
- Instruction in critical thinking skills necessary for reading, writing, and speaking.
- Study current research in dyslexia.
- Administration and Evaluation of Slingerland Screening Materials.
What others have said...
"I wish I had done this [course] years ago...I feel this is one of the most beneficial training courses that I have taken." - Mariette
"The training is very intensive and I highly recommend this summer program. Any reading teacher would benefit from Slingerland training." - Wendy